Now that the election is over and the Democrats rule the Congressional roost, what do I expect to see over the next couple of years?
- Higher Taxes. This is not mere rhetorical "the libs are gonna rob you and give it to the crack whores" scare mongering, but a fact. The Bush tax cuts that are not only credited by many with propelling the country through the post-9/11 recession and fueling the current strong economy but is personally credited by me with keeping more money in my pocket will undoubtedly be left to die on the vine. When the new (old) rates come back the Republicans need to be loud about why the average working American's take-home pay suddenly shrank.
- More Intense Violence in Iraq. While it took "moderate" Democrats to win in many tight contests, the general message of the party has been carried most strongly by the Kerrys, Kennedys and Pelosis, namely that going into Iraq was a mistake and we need to retreat. As such, our enemies who have been trying to make us abandon the fight for three years will perceive a light at the end of the tunnel and will try to push us even harder.
- No Rapid Withdrawal From Iraq. Even though, the final decision will remain with the CinC, and I hold little confidence that Pelosi et. al. will move the President far from his goal of supporting and enabling democracy in Iraq. Sure, they may get some changes in rhetoric and tactics and will loudly trumpet them as victories, but the President will not change his mind and, despite the yearnings of the more fervently leftists, the Congress will not take meaningful and substantial action on the record to force him to change.
- Bush's Pen Will Get Some Exercise. Finally (too late some might say), the glass will be broken and the veto pen will be charged with ink. If the Democrat Congress passes a silly "don't spy on the terrorists" bill, expect a statement of the obvious and veto.
- The Far Left Will Get Sillier. After the first veto of something the left really wants expect the shrill cries of "fascism" and "BusHitler" to get even louder than they have ever been. The Nutroots community will get even more vocal and even more frustrated. Hopefully this will push them to nominate someone left of Kerry in '08. The Democrats are often easier to beat when they act naturally.